Having a son or daughter turn 16 is an anxious time. After all, the teen years are not only a period of opportunity and growth, but one that is fraught with new challenges and dangers. One of the greatest dangers, not to mention opportunities, is the chance to become a licensed driver.
Teen drivers are the riskiest group on the road. In fact, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says that more than one-third of all deaths of teens from 16 and up involve motor vehicles. Compounding this threat is the simple fact that most of us just aren’t able to buy for our kids -sorry, young adults – the newest of cars to protect them the best. And on top of that, we all know how hard it is for them as first time car buyers, since they don’t have any credit history.
Thankfully though, there are a number of used cars that are great for new drivers, and Forbes has compiled them onto a list.
The top vehicles for teens are:
- The 2008 and 2009 model years Audi A3’s are suitable for teen drivers due their durability and safety ratings.
- The Honda Accord Sedan made the list due to its low insurance cost and wallet-friendly fuel economy.
- Though not as foxy as many teens would like their cars to be, the Ford Taurus often features a stability control system and the kind of price that makes it the perfect third car.
- The all-wheel-drive Subaru Forester is well-suited for teens driving in snowy or wet conditions.
- The model year 2009 Mercury Milan performs well in most conditions and are easy on a family’s finances.
- The famously-boxy Scion xB is the kind of fun car that warms the hearts of both teens and parents.
- The crossover SUV, the Nissan Rogue, is safe and practical.
- The Honda Civic has long been a top-selling compact car. The same traits that make it good first buy, make it a fine previously-owned car.
- Another crossover SUV making the list, the Hyundai Santa Fe, is likewise a sturdy and practical vehicle suitable for teens.
- Saturn VUE’s produced after December 2007 are a good choice for teen drivers since they are a good value.