When you think of performance and fuel efficiency, you rarely think of the the same car. In the past, that has been a truism that could not be avoided, but as technology has progressed, cars have begun to intertwine the two. Here are five that offer sporty performance and fuel efficiency.
- Porsche 911 Carrera S…0-60 in 4.1 seconds and 27 mpg on the highway.
- Porsche Boxter…0-60 in 5.4 seconds and 32 mpg on the highway.
- Lotus Evora S…0-60 in 4.5 seconds and 28 mpg on the highway.
- Nissan 370Z…0-60 in 5.2 seconds and 26 mpg on the highway.
- Ford Mustang…0-60 in 5.8 seconds and 31 mpg on the highway.
The cars mentioned above all showcase a V-6 under the hood. Of course, most of these cars were tested with a manual transmission. It can be argued whether or not a driver’s car can actually be an automatic, as we’ve discussed before. Most of them offer larger engines or sport-tuned versions that can really leap to 60, but lose fuel efficiency. Still, that is quite a list for the fuel efficient driver. Unfortunately, the Mustang is really the one that’s within the reach of young consumers with little to no credit history. Check out this article on the best cars for teen drivers.